×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
18
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 24°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Middle East: Israel threatens to eliminate Hamas’s new leader amid anticipation of Iranian attack

Hezbollah's leader warns of retaliation "regardless of the consequences" - Diplomatic efforts intensify to prevent further escalation in the Middle East.

Newsroom August 8 09:49

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Yesterday, Israel warned that it would eliminate the new leader of Hamas, Yahya Sinwar, as the war in the Gaza Strip with the Palestinian Islamist movement, now in its eleventh month, threatens to spread across the Middle East.

Yahya Sinwar was named the new political leader of Hamas on Tuesday evening, succeeding Ismail Haniyeh, whose assassination on July 31 in Tehran was attributed to Israel by Iran, which vowed revenge.

Israeli authorities accuse the top figure of the Palestinian Islamist movement in the Gaza Strip of being among the masterminds of the unprecedented raid in October in southern Israel, which sparked this war.

Yahya Sinwar, whose movement is labeled a terrorist organization by Israel, the U.S., and the EU, has been in Israel’s crosshairs for years and has not appeared publicly since October 7.

“We will intensify our efforts to find him,” stated Israel’s Chief of General Staff, General Herzi Halevi, yesterday.

Despite all mediation efforts failing so far, the war, which has claimed at least 40,000 lives in the small besieged Palestinian enclave according to the Hamas Ministry of Health, threatens to spread across the Middle East, involving Iran and its allies on one side and Israel and its allies, particularly the U.S., on the other.

Tensions escalated dramatically after the deaths of Ismail Haniyeh and Fouad Shukr, a senior figure of Hezbollah’s military wing, on July 30 in an Israeli bombing in a southern suburb of Beirut.

Hezbollah and Iran have a “duty to retaliate” for the two assassinations, said Hezbollah’s armed Lebanese movement leader Hassan Nasrallah on Tuesday, warning that there would be retaliation “regardless of the consequences.”

During a meeting in Saudi Arabia yesterday, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) deemed Israel “fully responsible” for the assassination of Ismail Haniyeh. Its acting president, Mamadou Tangara (Gambia), condemned the killing, which he said could lead to a “broader conflict” in the Middle East.

Facing the risk of the war spreading, the international community is seeking ways to de-escalate and resume indirect negotiations between Israel and Hamas to reach a ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip, accompanied by the release of Israeli hostages in the Palestinian enclave in exchange for the release of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.

Diplomatic contacts have intensified, especially among countries mediating the indirect negotiations (Qatar, Egypt, USA). “We believe we have never been closer” to reaching a ceasefire agreement, said John Kirby, spokesperson for the U.S. National Security Council, yesterday.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, whose government is Israel’s main international ally, demanded on Tuesday that Iran and Israel avoid military “escalation.”

French President Emmanuel Macron also urged Tehran to abandon the “logic of retaliation,” stressing that further escalation “is not in anyone’s interest,” while also calling on the Israeli Prime Minister to “avoid a cycle of retaliation.”

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, on the other hand, demanded that Western countries stop supporting Israel to “avoid” a regional armed conflict.

After ten months of war, Israeli armed forces continue their ground and air assault against Hamas, which has been in power in Gaza since 2007, particularly in areas where they claimed to have full control before new battles erupted.

The Israeli army reported yesterday that it continues its operations in the central part of the enclave, where it “eliminated many terrorists.”

In Hamas’s attack on southern Israel on October 7, 1,198 people, mostly civilians, were killed, according to an AFP count based on official Israeli data. Of the 251 people abducted that day, 111 remain held hostage in Gaza, though 39 are believed to be dead, according to the Israeli army.

In retaliation, Israel vowed to destroy Hamas, and in the large-scale operations it has conducted since then, at least 39,677 people have been killed, according to the latest figures from Gaza’s Ministry of Health.

These operations have plunged the Palestinian enclave into a humanitarian disaster, with the vast majority of its 2.4 million inhabitants displaced.

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced yesterday that it is sending over one million polio vaccines as the virus was detected in sewage samples.

The European Union, France, and the United Kingdom condemned statements by Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich (far-right) yesterday, who said it would be “justified” and “moral” to “let the people of Gaza starve” to “free the hostages.”

In anticipation of the retaliation announced by Iran and its allies, tension remains high in Israel this week.

“We are determined to defend ourselves,” said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a visit to the Tel Hashomer military base near Tel Aviv yesterday.

Egypt announced yesterday that it had asked its airlines not to use Iranian airspace this morning due to “military exercises” scheduled in the Islamic Republic.

Concerns about the risk of escalation remain high, particularly in Lebanon, where Israeli military aircraft—once again in recent days—broke the sound barrier over Beirut yesterday.

>Related articles

Papastavrou: With Trump’s post, the US President recognizes Mitsotakis’ energy policy

“Go and take it”: The Trump administration reportedly urged the United Arab Emirates to “put boots on the ground” on Lavan Island

Jury failed to reach a verdict: Harvey Weinstein trial ends in mistrial

Since October 8, the day after the unprecedented raid by the military wing of the Palestinian Islamist movement in southern Israel, Hezbollah, a key component of the Iranian-backed “axis of resistance,” opened a front against Israel in southern Lebanon to “support” its ally Hamas. Exchanges of fire along the border are practically daily.

A source from the Lebanese security forces told AFP that two people, a civilian and a Hezbollah member, were killed in an Israeli bombardment in Jwaya, southern Lebanon, yesterday. In a press release, the Israeli army announced that it had eliminated “terrorists” in that area.

Hezbollah reported launching rockets in retaliation against Israel. The Israeli army announced that it had “destroyed” a facility from which the Lebanese movement had launched a drone towards the occupied Golan Heights, which Israel has annexed.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Hamas#israel#Middle East#US#war
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The wonderful ten-day period with Tsipras, “President Maria,” and Nikos’ anxiety (“don’t be mad at me, my love”), the behind-the-scenes of the blue party conference, and Europe Insurance close to Credia

May 18, 2026

Final four in the opposition: On May 26 Tsipras’ party, on the 21st Karystianou, Samaras is weighing it, “they are attacking Androulakis” say PASOK insiders

May 18, 2026

Lily Collins in Mykonos for the filming of Emily in Paris – the €20,000-per-week villa

May 18, 2026

Papastavrou: With Trump’s post, the US President recognizes Mitsotakis’ energy policy

May 18, 2026

Everything that changes with the new spatial planning framework for hotels, Airbnb, and land uses in 19 questions and answers

May 18, 2026

Alexis Tsipras to announce his new party on May 26, according to his post

May 18, 2026

International Museum Day 2026: Free admission and exciting events at museums across Greece

May 18, 2026

New sell-off in markets after Trump’s threats toward Iran: Asian markets fall, oil rises, fears over inflation and pressure on stocks and bonds

May 18, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα