×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Monday
16
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 16°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Sports

Stefanos Tsitsipas: “I might quit tennis — I see no reason to continue like this”

In one of the most emotionally charged moments of his career, Stefanos Tsitsipas left open the possibility of stepping away from professional tennis after a new injury forced him to withdraw from the first round of Wimbledon

Newsroom June 30 08:21

His dream of a successful Wimbledon run turned into another nightmare, as he lost the first two sets (6-3, 6-2) against Frenchman Valentin Royer in his opening match in London and ultimately retired before the third set due to lower back discomfort.

In a deeply disappointed mood during the official press conference, the Greek champion admitted he is at rock bottom in his career.

“As a human being, I also have my limits. I need to make a final decision about whether I want to continue in the coming months. If I see that things keep going in the same direction, then there’s no point in competing anymore,” he said, clearly overwhelmed and hinting strongly at a possible early retirement. “If you’re not healthy, your entire tennis life becomes miserable.”

The 2023 Australian Open and 2021 Roland Garros finalist has been suffering from a chronic issue on the left side of his lower back — an injury that seems to persist and significantly limit him.

“I’ve fought a lot lately, and it’s painful to see myself in this condition. One of the things I hate most is retiring from a match. I never imagined this would happen to me so many times, especially since the ATP Finals in Turin two years ago. Since then, I’ve felt physically fragile. It’s a constant battle just to feel healthy and able to give 100%, and it’s really tough,” he said, continuing in the same tone: “I feel like I’ve tried everything. I’ve worked hard with my trainer and physiotherapist. I’ve exhausted every option and right now I have no answers. I don’t know what to do.”

Tsitsipas ruled out the possibility of surgery, stating that the damage has already been done, and he pinpointed the turning point to post-US Open 2024:

“That’s when it all started. It shows how physically demanding the tour is on the body.”

He also spoke about his new coach, Croatian Goran Ivanišević, who joined his team during the grass-court season:

>Related articles

Tsitsipas’ father claimed he was the one driving the Lotus at 213 km/h – Traffic Police unmoved

“Tsitsipas was not driving the car,” says the tennis star’s lawyer about the Lotus caught at 210 km/h on Attiki Odos

Novak Djokovic celebrates his 101st title at the Acropolis with… Dalmatian dogs

“Goran is fantastic. We get along really well. I’m very disappointed I couldn’t show my game, couldn’t play the way I deserve. As much as he gives me confidence, if I don’t feel physically good, I can’t show anything on the court.”

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Stefanos Tsitsipas#tennis#Wimbledon
> More Sports

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Kilauea Volcano erupted again: the lava jets reached 400 metres, see video

February 16, 2026

Logan Paul sold a rare Pokemon card for the astronomical sum of $16.5 million

February 16, 2026

Papastavrou: We are ushering in a new era of national confidence and determination, becoming a major energy exporter

February 16, 2026

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

February 16, 2026

American Hellenic Institute leadership attends 2026 leadership 100 conference

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

Adonis Georgiades filed a lawsuit against Zoe Konstantopoulou at Evelpidon

February 16, 2026
All News

> Greece

Taxis tomorrow (17/2): Drivers’ strike in Attica through Thursday

Nationwide, taxis will not operate on Tuesday and Wednesday – What drivers are demanding

February 16, 2026

Nikos Plakias speaks to Protothema: The pressure, xylene, Karystianou, and the last photo of the girls from inside the train

February 16, 2026

Second wave of acquisitions in education: Foreign funds now investing in private schools across Greece’s regions

February 16, 2026

The Belgian seller to protothema: Why I withdrew from eBay the photos of the 200 executed people of Kaisariani

February 16, 2026

The first person from the photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani has been identified – To which Nazi officer they are attributed

February 16, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα