×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
22
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 25°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Greece

The government says that an increasing number of farmers are willing to engage in dialogue

Government spokesperson Pavlos Marinakis invited farmers to discussions after differences emerged within the blockades, creating an opening for dialogue

Newsroom December 28 01:01

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

In a statement issued on Sunday morning, Marinakis said the government had called for dialogue from the beginning of the mobilizations and noted that payments are being made according to schedule. He urged those who continue to refuse talks to move away from what he described as an outdated approach of confrontation, adding that the Prime Minister had already set a specific date for a meeting.


Marinakis said the government’s willingness to engage in dialogue is sincere and that the framework it has proposed addresses the majority of the demands raised by farmers and livestock breeders, building on measures implemented in recent years to resolve long-standing issues in the agricultural sector. He also said payments are proceeding as planned.


In his statement, Marinakis said that, although delayed, more representatives of the farmers’ mobilizations now appear to recognize the need to come to the table for dialogue, describing this as an encouraging development. He added that those still rejecting dialogue should reconsider, arguing that continued confrontation has placed significant strain on society. He said solutions can be reached only through dialogue.


The government’s comments follow developments within the farmers’ mobilizations, where nearly 30 days passed before the first split appeared in what had previously been a unified front of road blockades.
The announcement that some blockades are changing their stance and opening the door to dialogue prompted strong reactions from the Nikaia coordination center. Questions were raised about the timing of the move and whether those representatives had previously participated in the collective decision-making process of the Panhellenic Committee of Road Blockades.
Representatives in Nikaia said the blockades now taking a different position had participated in nationwide meetings before the mobilizations began and had accepted the common framework of demands. Strong criticism was directed at them.
Those adopting a different stance responded that they attended the meetings as observers rather than as members of the committee, leading to further disagreement over who represents whom in any potential negotiations with the government.


Despite these developments, representatives of the Nikaia blockade said the change in stance does not alter plans to escalate actions after the New Year. Final decisions are expected at a nationwide meeting, likely to be held on Saturday, January 3.

>Related articles

Farmers with tractors headed to E65: protesting for OPEKEPE and the increased cost of production, See photos

What changes for military pensions, farmers’ excise duty, and taxation under the new bill

New farmers’ rally at Syntagma today – tractors to depart at noon


Until then, actions such as opening toll stations and symbolic closures of service roads are planned. Next Tuesday, traffic facilitation measures are expected to be implemented for the return of New Year holiday travelers, following the approach used during Christmas.
According to the farmers, the key issue remains the position the government will take after the holiday period, while the road blockades continue to remain in place on the national road network. This is seen as decisive in determining whether a meeting between the two sides will take place and under what conditions.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#dialogue#farmers
> More Greece

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The Best Greek Swimsuit and Resortwear Brands to Know This Summer

May 22, 2026

Turkey: CHP appeals to Turkey’s Supreme Administrative Court over removal of its leadership

May 22, 2026

Ozzy Osbourne: “I still look for you in every part of life that should include you,” writes his daughter

May 22, 2026

Papastergiou on electric scooters: How the ban on minors will be implemented, with kids wallet the procedure

May 22, 2026

SpaceX: Why it canceled the Starship V3 launch 40 seconds before liftoff

May 22, 2026

Thessaloniki Metro closes on Friday 29/5 for 2.5 weeks – The extension project to Kalamaria is underway

May 22, 2026

Ticket issue for the Final Four: Olympiacos in constant contact with EuroLeague to resolve issue for ticket holders

May 22, 2026

Spy “thriller” at the Presidential Palace in Skopje

May 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα