×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
21
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 32°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Prince Harry, Elton John and others ordered to pay Daily Mail £9.5 million by August 28 after losing privacy battle

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and six other celebrities have been ordered to pay Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail, an initial sum of around £9.54 million, after losing their privacy invasion case against the company. The claim was brought against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), which publishes the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday […]

Newsroom August 21 05:10

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and six other celebrities have been ordered to pay Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail, an initial sum of around £9.54 million, after losing their privacy invasion case against the company.

The claim was brought against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), which publishes the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline. The claimants alleged that unlawful information-gathering practices had been used against them. The company categorically denied the allegations.

On 7 July, Justice Matthew Nicklin at the High Court dismissed the claims, ruling that the high-profile claimants had failed to prove their case.

Among those who brought the action were Harry; music icon Sir Elton John and his husband, the film producer David Furnish; the former Liberal Democrat politician Sir Simon Hughes; the actress Sadie Frost; the actress Elizabeth Hurley; and the anti-racism campaigner Baroness Doreen Lawrence.

Dozens of witnesses gave evidence during the trial, including the Duke of Sussex and the other claimants. Harry travelled from the United States to Britain to attend the proceedings in person.

Associated Newspapers, journalists and executives, both current and former, gave evidence denying that any unlawful activity had taken place.

After the ruling, Harry and Lawrence said they had gone to court seeking “justice and accountability” but had received neither. “This is a complete and blatant cover-up, though sadly not unexpected,” they said in a joint statement.

>Related articles

Prince Harry and Meghan’s move back to Britain surprises King Charles

British PM duped by White House chief of staff impersonator

Months without rain: Images of London’s (unrecognisable) parks

Associated Newspapers had asked the court for an interim payment of more than £9.9 million towards its legal costs, ahead of further proceedings to determine the final bill in detail.

Lawyers for the claimants argued the sum should be limited to just over £7.9 million. The judge ultimately set the interim payment at around £9.54 million, with a deadline of 28 August for payment.

BREAKING: Prince Harry, Elton John and others to pay initial £9.5m legal costs to the Daily Mail's publishers https://t.co/PAiZ4D1jU3

📺 Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube pic.twitter.com/nrBYsXfx1x

— Sky News (@SkyNews) August 21, 2026

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#daily mail#Elton John#prince harry#privacy#United Kingdom
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Passengers save bus carrying 50 people in Sweden after driver loses consciousness (video)

August 21, 2026

Global trend for online fame puts lives at risk across Greece

August 21, 2026

Israeli PM Netanyahu brands Turkish President Erdogan ‘antisemitic dictator’ after Interpol arrest warrant

August 21, 2026

Fire on Lemnos prompts evacuation of two villages as 59 residents rescued by sea

August 21, 2026

Prince Harry, Elton John and others ordered to pay Daily Mail £9.5 million by August 28 after losing privacy battle

August 21, 2026

Turkey seeks Interpol “red notice” for Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu over Gaza flotilla interception

August 21, 2026

“Scorching” final week of August: Temperatures will exceed 40°C in places — where the heat will be most intense

August 21, 2026

Plevris in Rhodes: “We are providing tangible support to the islands that have borne the brunt of migration”

August 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα