×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Friday
20
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 17°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Calls for independent investigation after video of Syrian government forces killing a volunteer rescuer

Videos circulating on social networking sites appear to show civilians being murdered by gunmen in army or internal security forces uniforms

Newsroom August 11 08:34

 

Syrian human rights defenders have renewed their calls for an independent investigation into the violent incidents that broke out in July in Suwayda province—home mostly to Druze—after the release yesterday, Sunday, of a video showing government forces executing a volunteer rescuer in a hospital in a summary manner.

The violent clashes in the southern province erupted on July 13 between Druze and Bedouin tribes. They escalated in the following days with the intervention of outside forces—including units sent by Damascus—with the final death toll reaching nearly 1,400, among them many Druze civilians.

The Syrian de facto authorities stated that they sent forces to restore order, but eyewitnesses, Druze organizations, and the NGO Syrian Observatory for Human Rights alleged that these forces sided with the Bedouin fighters and committed atrocities against the Druze, including summary executions.

Videos circulating on social media appear to show civilians being killed by armed men wearing army or internal security uniforms.

The local media outlet Suwayda24 in particular published on X a video it says came from CCTV cameras at the province’s main hospital on July 16.

In the footage, a group of people—apparently staff members—are seen gathered, sitting on the floor of a corridor. Armed men in army and Interior Ministry uniforms are giving them orders. Suddenly, a brief scuffle breaks out between a young man—whom the outlet describes as a “volunteer from the medical team”—and members of the government forces. At least two of them can be seen shooting him, the first with a semi-automatic rifle, the second with a pistol. One of the gunmen then drags the body away along the floor, leaving a trail of blood.

The Syrian authorities did not immediately respond to AFP’s request for comment.

A man in his thirties—who appears in the video—told AFP by phone that he had responded to a call from the hospital asking for volunteers to help. He confirmed “the incident,” which took place “on July 16.”

A doctor at the Suwayda general state hospital, speaking on condition of anonymity, also confirmed the incident and assured that the footage came from inside the healthcare facility.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also reposted the video, calling it a “shocking summary execution” carried out by “members of the Defense and Interior ministries’ forces.”

>Related articles

Asylum revoked for the president of the Pakistani Community in Greece, Javed Aslam

Horrific allegations against Iran’s regime: Injured protesters executed in hospitals, girls detained and raped

UN: Atrocities in El Fasher were a preventable disaster

It demanded that those responsible be held accountable and that “an international, independent, and impartial commission” investigate the incidents in Suwayda.

Fadel Abdul Ghani, executive director of the Syrian Network for Human Rights, demanded that the authorities take action “immediately” and called for an international, independent UN commission to enter the country to “investigate violations committed by all parties involved” in the deadly events in Suwayda.

He stated on X that the commission formed by the authorities in Damascus last month to investigate the Suwayda incidents “lacks credibility” and “the acceptance of the public.”

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Christian persecution#islam#jihadists#muslims#syira
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

The International Baccalaureate IB will be equivalent to the General High School Diploma

February 20, 2026

Giannis Kefalogiannis: Managing natural disasters is not a one-off policy, but a long-term strategy

February 20, 2026

The dirty work, Kouretas and Papastergiou, Domna and the Ark (of sin), slacking and nutrition, the data centers, the Greeks and the LNG

February 20, 2026

Ioannina: Presidential Guard, F-16s and helicopters in the parade for the Liberation of the city

February 20, 2026

Aliens: Historic Trump decision – What the US hid about Area 51 and UFOs comes to light?

February 20, 2026

UK government plan to wipe court records on grooming gangs sparks outrage over “justice blackout”

February 20, 2026

Lagarde to WSJ: My “basic scenario” is to complete my term at the ECB

February 20, 2026

Maria Menounos: The revealing dress she wore on her trip to Greece – see photos

February 20, 2026
All News

> Lifestyle

Maria Menounos: The revealing dress she wore on her trip to Greece – see photos

“I really loved this black cutout dress,” Maria Menounos wrote in her Instagram post

February 20, 2026

Eric Dane: The life and legacy of the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star who died of ALS at 53

February 20, 2026

Katie Price: New photos from Dubai spark shock as she appears thinner than ever

February 19, 2026

Brooklyn Beckham unfollows Gordon Ramsay’s twins after chef’s comments on family rift

February 19, 2026

Emma Stone in a little black dress from Julie de Libran’s runway — and Aquazzura sandals

February 11, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα