×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
22
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 10°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Report reveals pilot who flew Erdoğan on coup night fired over Gülen links

While no links between Yurtseven and the movement were discovered, he was fired from his job in February

Newsroom July 14 10:33

 

Barış Yurtseven, the pilot of the plane that brought Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan from Dalaman to İstanbul on the night of a failed military coup attempt last July, was fired from Turkish Airlines (THY) in February over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, accused by the government of masterminding the putsch. the Doğan news agency reported on Thursday.

According to Doğan, Yurtseven’s dismissal from THY came to light when he recently applied for a job at another airline.

Yurtseven had been unable to pass a security check carried out by THY because he deposited money in Bank Asya, which was confiscated by the Turkish government due to its links to the Gülen movement following the coup attempt and because he left the transponder on, allowing the plane carrying Erdoğan to be tracked online on the night of the coup attempt.

Transponders, radio transmitters used to identify and locate aircraft, are normally supposed to be on, but they were required to be turned off out of security concerns during the coup attempt.

Pilot Yurtseven, who worked for THY for 20 years, said he deposited money in Bank Asya to pay for his child’s tuition and that he had no affiliation with the Gülen movement.

While no links between Yurtseven and the movement were discovered, he was fired from his job in February.

According to an earlier report in the Posta daily, Erdoğan asked the two pilots in the plane before takeoff whether they were on his side. The pilots were reported to have said: “We are on your side till the end. We will do whatever is necessary to take you and your family to your destination. We will die together if necessary.”

The military coup attempt on July 15 killed over 240 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

>Related articles

What the peoples are proud of: Greeks proud of history, Italians proud of culture and Turks proud of their patriotism

Ankara upset by Athens-Chevron deal: “Unilateral actions south of Crete violate international law”

Enes Kanter to Protothema: “Recep Tayyip Erdogan spreads hatred against Greece and Cyprus” – What life is like as an Interpol-wanted man

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting participants of the Gülen movement in jails.

According to a statement from Turkey’s Justice Ministry on July 13, a total of 50,510 people have been arrested while 169,013 others have been the subject of legal proceedings since the failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 on coup charges.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#failed coup attempt#FETO#fired#Gulen#pilot#purges#Recep Tayyip Erdogan#turkey
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

A “Hexagon” of alliances with India, Greece, Cyprus & Arab states sought by Netanyahu against Shiite and Sunni extremism

February 22, 2026

Gunman armed with rifle and gasoline can shot dead by Secret Service at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Estate

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for Proto Thema: ND at 31.4% in vote estimate, Mitsotakis “playing solo” on suitability for Prime Minister

February 22, 2026

Critical Hours in the Middle East: Why an attack on Iran is far riskier than the arrest of Maduro

February 22, 2026

Earthquake at Buckingham: Charles was warned since 2019 about Prince Andrew’s “secret deals”

February 22, 2026

Marc poll for “Proto Thema”: ND at 31.4%, Mitsotakis “playing” without a rival

February 22, 2026

Kyriakos Mitsotakis: Hydrocarbon exploration guarantees security against those who challenge our sovereign rights

February 22, 2026

Water scarcity: Better news for Lake Mornos after the rains – “We must not become complacent,” experts say

February 22, 2026
All News

> Lifestyle

Reactions to Rosie Huntington’s appearance: “My God, what’s wrong with her face?”

A video of Rosie Huntington-Whiteley posted on social media sparked reactions, with viewers questioning whether the model had altered her appearance

February 20, 2026

Marilyn Monroe’s Palm Springs home listed for $3.3 million

February 20, 2026

Maria Menounos: The revealing dress she wore on her trip to Greece – see photos

February 20, 2026

Eric Dane: The life and legacy of the ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ star who died of ALS at 53

February 20, 2026

Katie Price: New photos from Dubai spark shock as she appears thinner than ever

February 19, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα