×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
19
Feb 2026
weather symbol
Athens 15°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

NGO Human Rights Watch took money from Saudi businessman after documenting his coercive labor practices

It was agreed that the "gift" could not be used for LGBT rights work in the Middle East region

Newsroom March 18 10:09

Human Rights Watch accepted a sizable donation from a Saudi billionaire shortly after its researchers documented labor abuses at one of the man’s companies, a potential violation of the rights group’s own fundraising guidance.

Human Rights Watch recently returned the gift from Saudi real estate magnate Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber, which came with the caveat that it could not be used to support the group’s LGBT advocacy in the Middle East and North Africa. The controversial donation is at the center of a contentious internal debate about the judgment and leadership of Human Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth.

After The Intercept began investigating the donation, the rights group published a statement on its website saying that accepting the funding was a “deeply regrettable decision” that “stood in stark contrast to our core values and our longstanding commitment to LGBT rights as an integral part of human rights”.

Read Also:

Australian researchers say they have found ‘cure’ for Covid-19 virus, want drug trial

Mitsotakis: We are at war with an invisible and insidious enemy

>Related articles

Ankara upset by Athens-Chevron deal: “Unilateral actions south of Crete violate international law”

Bulgaria holds early parliamentary elections on 19 April, eighth in five years

Kaklamanis: Parliament will hire one of the 12 children of a large family

The 2012 grant from Al Jaber’s U.K.-based charitable foundation amounted to $470,000, Roth told The Intercept, adding that a “final pledge installment was never realized.” The statement did not refer to Al Jaber by name, but two Human Rights Watch employees confirmed his identity to The Intercept.

“We also regret that the grant was made by the owner of a company that Human Rights Watch had previously identified as complicit in labor rights abuse,” the group’s statement said. In 2012 and previous years, Human Rights Watch reported extensively on labor violations at Jadawel International, a Saudi construction company founded and owned by Al Jaber.

Read more: The Intercept

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#bribe#extortion#fraud#George Soros#gist#Human Rights Watch#LGBTQ#Liberals#Middle East#money#muslim#NGOs#Open Society Foundations (OSF)#politics#report#Saudi Arabia#solidarity now#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Ankara upset by Athens-Chevron deal: “Unilateral actions south of Crete violate international law”

February 19, 2026

Tassoula and Nikos (“you made your bed, now sleep in it”), Article 86 and how it is changing, the Aktor–Suez water businesses , Veolia-Mesogeios, the “bring it” of the shipowners

February 19, 2026

Police arrest Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in the shadow of the Epstein scandal

February 19, 2026

Mitsotakis from India: Priority to protect young people from digital addiction

February 19, 2026

What funding are Kapodistrias, Broken Vein, The Great Chimera, Rififi receiving – The funds for foreign films

February 19, 2026

The owner of “Violanda” in Trikala prison: the crucial questions about the propane leak and the “line” of the apology

February 19, 2026

Court of Appeal sentences Father Antonios 9.5-year sentence — €60,000 bail set for release (updated)

February 19, 2026

The battle of LNG: How we came to the Motor Oil – DESFA rift over the FSRU in Corinth

February 19, 2026
All News

> Sports

Stunning national record by Greek athlete Roussou in the 1,500 metres

At the indoor athletics meet in Paiania, the young athlete set a new Greek national record in the women’s U20 1,500 metres

February 15, 2026

Antetokounmpo turns… Gummy: The “Greek Freak’s” new business venture

February 13, 2026

Euroleague fines Bartzokas €4,000 following Dubai fan incident

February 12, 2026

“Bombshell” with Hayes-Davis: Signs with Panathinaikos for 2.5 years

February 12, 2026

At Votanikos, Alafouzos, Hatzidakis, and Doukas: “Panathinaikos’ stadium is progressing according to schedule”

February 11, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα