×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Wednesday
20
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 25°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

EU–US tariff deal: Temporary agreement to cut duties seen as “step toward balanced transatlantic trade,” says von der Leyen

The post of the President of the European Commission - Trump's ultimatum

Newsroom May 20 11:39

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen welcomed the compromise reached within the EU on implementing the trade agreement concluded with Washington, expressing hope that it will quickly close a turbulent chapter in transatlantic relations.

“This means we will soon fulfill our share of the commitment we have made” to the United States, she wrote on X, calling for the process to be completed as soon as possible. “Together we can ensure a stable, predictable, balanced and mutually beneficial transatlantic trade,” she added.

Representatives of EU member states and the European Parliament reached an agreement on the implementation of the controversial deal with the United States on tariffs.

The Cypriot presidency of the Council of the EU announced in the early hours that negotiators had “reached a provisional agreement on two regulations implementing the EU tariff reductions set out in the EU–US Joint Statement.”

Negotiators, under pressure from recent threats by US President Donald Trump, agreed to remove remaining tariffs on American industrial products and grant better access to the EU market for US seafood and agricultural products.

“To ensure effective implementation of the Joint Statement and protect EU interests, lawmakers agreed to strengthen the main regulation with a robust safeguard mechanism,” the member states said in a statement.

Specifically, the agreement provides that EU tariff concessions can be reversed if the United States violates the deal.

“It has been a turbulent journey, but it was worth it,” said Bernd Lange, chair of the European Parliament’s International Trade Committee and rapporteur on relations with the United States. “By turning the commitments in the Joint Statement into law, the regulation becomes part of the EU’s toolbox for improving EU–US relations, but also responds to pressure.”

Lange said the economic impact on Europe will be reviewed on December 31, 2029, stressing that if European companies are harmed or new imbalances emerge, an emergency brake mechanism will automatically be triggered.

Trump and von der Leyen reached an agreement on tariffs in August 2025. Both sides agreed on a 15% tariff cap for most EU exports to the US, including cars and automotive parts. In return, the EU committed to removing tariffs on US industrial goods and facilitating access for American agricultural products such as pork and dairy.

>Related articles

EU considers Merkel or Draghi as possible common negotiator with Putin, Financial Times reports

Kimolos: Inauguration of the Elderly Care Unit of the Afentakeio Foundation

The secrets of the new “Renovate” program: Subsidies of up to 95% — but with a rent freeze for 3 years

Trump has since accused the EU of failing to implement the agreement and announced plans to raise tariffs on cars and trucks imported from the EU to 25%.

Earlier in May, Trump set a July 4 deadline for the EU to implement the trade deal, warning that tariffs would rise to “much higher levels” if the deadline was not met.

Before the changes take effect, the agreement must still be formally approved by the European Parliament plenary and EU member states, though this is considered largely a formality. The regulations are expected to enter into force no later than July 4.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#economy#eu#EU-US#European Commission#United States#usa#Von der Leyen#world
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Plevris: I am not optimistic that this summer we will have the reductions in migration flows we have in the Eastern Aegean

May 20, 2026

EU considers Merkel or Draghi as possible common negotiator with Putin, Financial Times reports

May 20, 2026

Live broadcast of protothema.gr for the Final Four: Analysis of Olympiacos, Fener, Valencia and Real Madrid

May 20, 2026

Scientists discover new fault in Africa that could split the continent in two

May 20, 2026

Synolakis on the smell in Attica: the characteristic “rotten egg” odor and deeper waters with hydrogen sulfide and ammonia

May 20, 2026

Stricter rules, new exclusion zones and a “cut-off” at 1,200 meters for wind farms, ban on wind turbines in Attica

May 20, 2026

Lithuania on high alert over suspected drone: Vilnius Airport closed and air danger warning issued

May 20, 2026

Mitsotakis to Tasoulas: Elections in one year, political reshuffle “Does not concern us”

May 20, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα