The confrontation with Iran has escalated further, with Donald Trump announcing what he described as “the most overwhelming economic operation ever conducted against any country.” The U.S. president referred to “economic warfare” and “unprecedented isolation,” while also threatening sanctions against those providing economic support to Tehran.
Trump announced the new measures against Iran in a post on Truth Social, arguing that Tehran had been given an opportunity to reach a new agreement but “failed to take it.”
In his lengthy message, the U.S. president said the failure to reach an agreement would now lead to “economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale.”
“Today I am announcing the most overwhelming economic operation ever conducted against any country,” he said, describing the move as an “Economic D-Day.”
Trump further argued that the measures would be historic in scope and would “paralyze” Iran’s ability to continue its activities.
Threats against those supporting Tehran
The U.S. president warned that any country allowing financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide Iran with “any kind of lifeline” would face “huge economic consequences.”
In his post, he specifically referred to activities including oil smuggling, currency swap lines, cash transfers, currency exchanges, ship registries, and shell companies.
“All of this must stop now. You know who you are,” he wrote.
“The maniacs are backed into a corner”
Donald Trump repeated claims he has made throughout the crisis, arguing that Iran has suffered severe setbacks.
“Their navy has disappeared, their air force has been destroyed, their military factories are now rubble, their currency is worthless, and their country is hanging by a thread,” he said.
He also stated that “these maniacs are backed into a corner” and that the new measures would limit their ability to “spread terror around the world.”
The U.S. president also reiterated that “Iran will never have a nuclear weapon.”
No active talks with Tehran
The new announcement comes just days after Trump said there are currently no talks or scheduled negotiations with Iran.
Meanwhile, the fragile 60-day ceasefire expired on Monday. Tehran has maintained that a potential agreement is not dead but is in a “coma,” leaving open the possibility of negotiations resuming under certain conditions.
In his post, the U.S. president said, among other things:
“No one gave the Islamic Republic of Iran a greater opportunity to make a deal than I did. Tragically for them, they failed to take advantage of it.”
Trump added that the new operation would constitute “economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale” and called on U.S. allies to stand with Washington “to isolate and defeat the threat from Iran.”

Ask me anything
Explore related questions