×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 21°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

LafargeHolcim suspects Syrian plant funded armed groups

The inquiry was launched last year after allegations appeared in the French media

Newsroom March 3 08:15

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

LafargeHolcim (LHN.S) said one of its cement plants probably paid protection money to armed groups in Syria to keep the factory running in the war-torn country.

The embarrassing disclosure follows an internal investigation and highlights the dilemmas companies face when working in conflict zones. French prosecutors are also investigating the cement group’s activities in Syria.

“It appears from the investigation that the local company provided funds to third parties to work out arrangements with a number of these armed groups, including sanctioned parties, in order to maintain operations and ensure safe passage of employees and supplies to and from the plant,” the world’s biggest cement maker said in a statement.

It said it could not establish the ultimate recipients of the money and declined to say how much money had been paid in 2013 and 2014.

“In hindsight, the measures required to continue operations at the plant were unacceptable,” the Swiss company said. It is setting up a new ethics and risk panel and further steps designed to boost regulatory compliance.

A judicial source in France told Reuters prosecutors were looking into the company’s comments and could widen their investigation, but no decisions had been taken yet.

The inquiry was launched last year after allegations appeared in the French media.

French newspaper Le Monde reported in June that Lafarge, which merged with Switzerland’s Holcim in 2015, had paid taxes to Islamic State to continue operating.

Two human rights group said in November they had filed a legal complaint in Paris against Lafarge, saying some of its work in Syria may have made it complicit in financing Islamic State and in war crimes.

LafargeHolcim had issued a statement in November denying it had financed “designated terrorist organizations”.

Lafarge owned a cement factory in Jallabiya in northern Syria, between the IS stronghold of Raqqa and the town of Manbij. The company repatriated its expatriate staff in 2012 due to fighting in the region, which came under IS control in 2013.

Fewer than 30 employees from the original workforce of 240 were on site when the plant eventually closed in September 2014.

LafargeHolcim on Thursday said the deteriorating political situation in Syria had posed “very difficult challenges for the security and operations of the plant and its employees.”

It said the site was an important source of employment in the region and played a vital role in supplying Syria with essential building materials.

“Shutting down the operations while we were providing basic goods to civilians and had several hundred people making a living from our operations was a difficult decision and one that we considered very seriously,” a LafargeHolcim spokesman said.

>Related articles

The EU restores trade relations with Syria after partial lifting of sanctions — Which products are affected

Tom Barrack strikes again: Calls F-35 deadlock “irrational,” leaves door open for Turkey’s return to the program

Syria’s Christian population faces an 80 percent decline

“Once the decision to close had been taken in 2014, we acted responsibly to remove our personnel from the site as quickly as possible.”

LafargeHolcim said it did not expect the case to have a material financial impact on the company.

Source

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#isis#LafargeHolcim#syria
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

May 21, 2026

Mitsotakis at the Palace of the Despots in Mystras: Culture is a chain of our national strength

May 21, 2026

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

May 21, 2026

The Kremlin is open to dialogue with the Europeans on the war in Ukraine

May 21, 2026

Alexandros Giotopoulos, the leader of the 17 November organization who had been sentenced to life imprisonment, was released after 24 years in prison

May 21, 2026

Henry Nowak: Student killed in knife attack as two-tier policing questions grow in murder trial

May 21, 2026

Rubio: US-Iran deal is “unfeasible” if tolls are imposed on the Strait of Hormuz

May 21, 2026

“Hope for Democracy, Maria Karystianou, Independent Citizens’ Movement” is the name of the party (video-photos)

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα