×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Thursday
21
May 2026
weather symbol
Athens 19°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> Greece

“The failure to deploy forces is the root cause of the disaster,” Evangelos Bournous said in his apology for the Mati wildfire

The former mayor of Rafina-Pikermio described himself as a victim of the disaster and with tears in his eyes expressed his sorrow for the dead and the burned in the court of appeal

Newsroom February 25 07:15

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

In the absence of state assistance in Mati, he spoke today in his plea to the appellate court for the deadly fire, in July 2018, the former mayor of Rafina-Pikermio, Evangelos Bournous.

“75 city volunteers more than employees were on the front line. On the other side, there were wrong police instructions to the citizens, the coast guard was delayed, wrong assessments and lack of information from the fire department,” the accused former mayor claimed to point out elsewhere in his plea: “I stand before you today with accusations that do not fit me and my character. Every day that passes I think about whether I could have done something different even for my family. The answer is that I should have done more for my family. If I could, I would have ten fire trucks instead of five. The lack of dispatching forces is the cause of the disaster. When you’re late, these are the results. (…) I stand before you fully aware that I did my duty in full, both before, during, and after. I request that you release me from the set of charges. The self-governing should not be the self-immolators of this state. Local government cannot be in the dock every time because someone else is wrong.”

“I consider myself a victim and a defendant”

Earlier, he had described himself as a victim of the disaster and with tears in his eyes expressed his sorrow for the dead and injured.

“I consider myself a victim and at the same time a defendant. My house was burnt down and my wife was burnt and her gains stayed in the sea for five hours and came out with the rest. They stayed underwater most of the time and came out alive. They just held on. On that day I bore the burden of the mayor’s position,” the former mayor said, blaming the state mechanism again, saying, “There was no state mechanism to prevent the disaster in the birth, the loss of lives, property, to protect the psyche of all those who lived through the disaster and carry it, there is also the emotional loss of memories and elements that connected the past with the future. There is not a photo left of the relatives who have passed on. There are also those things that cannot be valued in material things.”

Regarding the readiness of the municipality of Rafina-Pikermio on that day, the accused said: “We had a stage 4 danger level, the municipality was at a high level of preparedness, in whatever online medium there were updates posted. There had been a dispersal of the six fire trucks we had. There was full staffing at the civil defense center.”

Elsewhere in his apology, Mr Burnous reiterated that there was no fire department. “The main fire-fighting force was ours,” he said, to then argue, “The fire department never came until late at night. The fire brigade didn’t come until late night, the fire brigade didn’t come until late night. Because I didn’t know how the fire would develop, I turned to the other mayors because our two water trucks would not be sufficient, I did it at that time without any information.”

>Related articles

More than 100 drones on standby for wildfire season across Greece

Grief over 13-year-old Konstantinos killed in Ilia: «The scooter was a family gift, he used it all the time», says his grandmother

The tragedy at Violanta – The ghost of “Daniel” and the pipeline checks that never happened

Finally, the accused was also questioned by the bench about the statements he had made to a television station on the day of the fire, stating that the fire would not go towards Mati. “When I said that there will be no problem at a low level (I am talking about where I am in Kallitehnoupoli), I always talk about a piece of my own,” the accused said and claimed that his information came from the fire brigade and the police.

“My impression from the direction of the wind is that (the fire) would have been scraped by the municipality. When the wind changed the game was lost but I couldn’t have known that. I always talked to what the officials told me,” he said.

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#fire#Mati#tragedy
> More Greece

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

What does it mean that the Patriarch of Constantinople is “Ecumenical”?

May 21, 2026

From Vinyl to Streaming: The playlist generations without a “musical identity”

May 21, 2026

Mitsotakis at the Palace of the Despots in Mystras: Culture is a chain of our national strength

May 21, 2026

Archbishop Simeon: We are confident that Egypt is making every effort to ensure that Mount Sinai continues its eternal course unhindered

May 21, 2026

The Kremlin is open to dialogue with the Europeans on the war in Ukraine

May 21, 2026

Alexandros Giotopoulos, the leader of the 17 November organization who had been sentenced to life imprisonment, was released after 24 years in prison

May 21, 2026

Henry Nowak: Student killed in knife attack as two-tier policing questions grow in murder trial

May 21, 2026

Rubio: US-Iran deal is “unfeasible” if tolls are imposed on the Strait of Hormuz

May 21, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα