Six people have been killed and another eight wounded in a shooting at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada.
Shots were fired at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre on Sunday night, where dozens had gathered for evening prayers.
Police confirmed the death toll and are treating the incident as a terror attack.
Two people are in custody, and officers do not believe there are others suspects at large.
Police said the area was secure and the situation was “under control”. Dozens of people left the mosque safely, they said.
A spokesperson said there was no information about the suspects in custody, saying their probe had just started.
Earlier Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also described the shooting as a “terrorist attack”.
Mr Trudeau said he heard of the news “with tremendous shock, sadness and anger”.
“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge,” he said in a statement.
“While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.”
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard also referred to the shooting as a terrorist attack, condemning it as “barbaric violence”. He expressed solidarity with Muslims in Quebec.
Earlier, a witness had told Reuters news agency that up to three gunmen had been involved. The news agency also reported that a “heavily armed police tactical squad” had been seen entering the mosque.
The shooting happened at the mosque on chemin Sainte-Foy, one of two operated by the Islamic centre.
On its Facebook page, the centre thanked the public “for the hundreds of messages of compassion” and asked people not to spread unconfirmed rumours.
The president of the mosque, Mohamed Yangui – who was not inside when the shooting happened – said the injured had been taken to hospitals across Quebec.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” he said.
The same mosque had a “gift-wrapped” pig’s head left on its doorstep in June last year, with a note reading “bonne appetit”. Muslims do not eat pork.
— Jewish Breaking News (@JBN) January 30, 2017