×
GreekEnglish

×
  • Politics
  • Diaspora
  • World
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Cooking
Sunday
23
Aug 2026
weather symbol
Athens 34°C
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • World
  • Diaspora
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Culture
  • Sports
  • Mediterranean Cooking
  • Weather
Contact follow Protothema:
Powered by Cloudevo
> World

Sorrow over 11 dead in Andalusia’s deadliest wildfire on record

The death toll in the Los Gallardos wildfire near Almería climbed to 12 on Friday morning after six more bodies were confirmed, with most victims found trapped inside their cars as they tried to flee. Spain's Military Emergency Unit has been deployed to reinforce some 150 firefighters battling the blaze, as roads remain cut off

Newsroom July 10 10:37

Δείτε περισσότερα άρθρα μας στα αποτελέσματα αναζήτησης

Add Protothema.gr on Google

Regional emergency chief Antonio Sanz has revealed the fatal error that trapped victims as they tried to flee Thursday’s wildfire near Los Gallardos, in Andalusia – all believed to be foreign nationals. A severed power cable is suspected to have sparked the blaze, which has also left eight people injured, four of them in serious condition.

Chaos is unfolding in Los Gallardos, a municipality of 3,110 residents in Almeria province, following the outbreak of a major forest fire on Thursday.

According to the latest update from the regional government of Andalusia, the death toll now stands at 11, with eight people injured – four of them in serious condition and due to be airlifted this morning to Virgen del Rocío hospital in Seville.

Antonio Sanz, the Andalusian Regional Minister for the Presidency, Health and Emergencies, revised the initial death toll down from 12 to 11. He said authorities have so far evacuated 122 people. Andalusia’s 112 emergency service reported handling more than 150 alert calls, tracing the fire’s origin to kilometre 511 of the N340 motorway, where a fallen power cable is believed to have ignited the blaze.

Trapped by the Flames’ Extreme Speed

Sanz said the victims were caught off guard by the fire’s “extremely rapid spread” through an area with particularly complex terrain and homes scattered across a hillside, as they attempted to flee the town of Bedar. The fire is thought to have started from a downed power cable before spreading rapidly into forested land.

When the fire broke out, authorities initially ordered an evacuation of part of the town. However, seeing the alarming speed of the flames, they decided to implement a full lockdown for residents’ safety, a decision that was communicated to the whole population. That call proved correct, as the town itself was ultimately saved from the fire.

A group of people nevertheless attempted to escape on their own, following a dry riverbed rather than the designated evacuation route.

“The decision to take a different route, seeking their own way out through the dry riverbed, proved to be a deadly trap for those who died,” Sanz said.

Victims Believed to Be Foreign Tourists

All of those killed are believed to be foreign tourists. Four of the victims were found burned beyond recognition inside a car with the steering wheel on the right-hand side, leading authorities to conclude they were British nationals.

The remaining seven victims were on foot. It appears they had abandoned their vehicles and set out walking in search of an escape route before becoming trapped and losing their lives.

Andalusia’s Deadliest Wildfire on Record

Although the toll remains provisional, this is already the deadliest wildfire ever recorded in Andalusia since official records began.

>Related articles

“Spain’s Mowgli”, Markos Rodríguez Pantoja, dies: the man who spent 12 years raised by wolves

Fire on Lemnos prompts evacuation of two villages as 59 residents rescued by sea

Boat carrying 60 illegal immigrants arrives at a busy beach in Spain, causing panic among beachgoers (videos)

Lloret de Mar (Girona), August 1979: 21 dead in the Los Pinares residential area

La Gomera (Canary Islands), 1984: 20 dead

Riba de Saelices (Guadalajara), July 2005: 11 dead, all members of a firefighting crew

Ask me anything

Explore related questions

#Andalusia#deaths#heatwave across Europe#spain#wildfire
> More World

Follow en.protothema.gr on Google News and be the first to know all the news

See all the latest News from Greece and the World, the moment they happen, at en.protothema.gr

> Latest Stories

Nea Smyrni: Man waited for woman outside building, killed her, then took his own life

August 23, 2026

Iranian hackers knocked out UK power plant for four days, Telegraph reports

August 23, 2026

City of Athens prepares for today’s soaring temperatures with 7 AC spaces and other measures

August 23, 2026

Turkey and Israel’s rivalry raises fears of a dangerous miscalculation in Syria

August 23, 2026

Canada-US trade talks collapse as Ottawa announces retaliatory tariffs

August 23, 2026

Police arrest helicopter passenger over drugs after Spetses beach landing on a beach

August 22, 2026

Madonna’s partner posts Greek holiday photos and declares his love in Greek

August 22, 2026

Secret tanker crossings are keeping oil prices from soaring through the Strait of Hormuz

August 22, 2026
All News

> Greece

In reverence, the emotional deposition in Jerusalem, see photos & video

The Holy Temple of the Resurrection opened after many days due to the war between Israel and Iran

April 10, 2026

In the final stretch for the accreditation of joint master’s degrees: Aiming for their launch in the coming academic year

April 10, 2026

Schedule for Epitaph Procession today (10/4)

April 10, 2026

Perfect weather for Easter excursions, according to Tsatrafyllia’s forecast

April 10, 2026

Easter in Greece: The customs that continue in Greek tradition – From Nafpaktos to Corfu

April 10, 2026
Homepage
PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION POLICY COOKIES POLICY TERM OF USE
Powered by Cloudevo
Copyright © 2026 Πρώτο Θέμα